MMS 2013 Session Video Download Script 2.0 RTW

Finally I’ve had time to test the script enough so I can release it as RTW (Release To Web). I’ve made some changes so that the script handles files that don’t publish it’s size in the RSS feed.

Hope you’ll enjoy all the great sessions from Microsoft Management Summit 2013 here in Las Vegas.

/Tim

EDIT: This is the old powershell script, link above have been changed to my new C# based downloader called “Session Downloader“.

About The Author

Tim Nilimaa is a consultant with Coligo in Sweden. He has been working with Configuration Manager for 8 years. His knowledge has been selected as a speaker at many events among them Microsoft Management Summit.

19 Comments

1. eswar says:

Hi Tim,
    would it be possible to give list of session codes like UB-B412 etc in a notepad file and download only these given sessions rather downloading all .
    Many guys may not need all MMS sessions and it would not be good to download all and then filter what they need.

2. […] See for another download script the Infoworks.tv site. […]

3. Kenneth Sundby says:

Hi Tim,

Very cool script for us unable to attend MMS! Unfortunately it is not working for me on my Windows 7 or Windows 8 computer (both 64-bit), also another user tried it with same result.

It seems to download the file to a certain size then it just stops, and this happens with any file on any format. I am not sure how to troubleshoot this as I am not very well versed in Powershell, any ideas?

4. Larry Brown says:

Great script.. Very clean and you went above and beyond on the prompts and status information..

5. rob says:

I have not had a chance to look into why but the script only seems to pull 1 file then just hangs

6. CN. says:

Dear Tim,

Thank you for the lovely script.

Please note that the script is freezing when I start downloading the mp4 HD.
    Downloading MM237 session 1 of 131 – 163MB of 878MB.

Would be possible to include the PPT as well?

Please help.

7. CN. says:

Yes it’s true the script only seems to pull 1 file then just hangs…

Please help

8. Al says:

Thanks for putting this script together. Unfortunately, I’m having the same issue where it will download one file then stop.
    It always seems to report the file size as xMB of 878.99MB (which is the filesize of the final session). Is this something to do with the way the $SessionSize variable is calculated?

9. Joseph says:

Hi Tim,

Great script as always!

Running as non-admin did not prompt me with a download location.

/Joseph

10. Casey says:

So I’ve been messing with this script most of the day. I’m not a powershell person but I can typically read the code well enough to fix it.

Like the others, I noticed the script only downloads 1/2 the first file and then hangs.

I replaced the last “foreach” loop. For some reason it wants to hang on the status bar part of the loop. Not sure why but it did. How it works fine.

I also removed replaced the “DownloadFileAsync” with “DownloadFile”.

foreach ($Session in $SessionList)
    {
    Write-Progress -id 1 -Activity “Downloading session files” -Status “Session $($i) of $($SessionListCount)” -PercentComplete (($i / $SessionListCount)*100)
    $file = Join-Path $DownloadFolder $session.enclosure.url.Substring($session.enclosure.url.LastIndexOf(“/”))

$WebClient.DownloadFile($session.enclosure.url, $file)

}

11. Chris says:

Same here:
    Downloading session files
    Session 1 of 182
    [o
    Downloading MMS237 (163.82 MB of 878.99 MB)
    Progress:
    [oooooooooooooooooooo

12. CN. says:

Dear Tim,

Could you please update the script in order to download all sessions continuously?

13. Patrick Hisshion says:

Hi Tim,

The script seems to hang at the same point as what’s happening to people above.

Any idea of what’s causing this? and any possible solution?

Note: Format downloaded mp4 HD

Regards,
    Patrick

• Tim says:

Thanks for all comments. I’m not quite sure why the transfer hangs/stops halfway but I will try to sort it out. Currently I’m flying all over US but will fix is asap as I’m currently working on a different project for all you guys as well 🙂

14. shawnwat says:

different issues but putting in DownloadFile seems to resolve it as mentioned above.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4926060/powershell-runspace-problem-with-downloadfileasync might help.

15. Hi Tim
    Thanks for a great script.
    I have modified and your script to handle the Lync Conference 2013 sessions.
    See the new version of the script here: http://www.msdigest.net/2013/04/lync-conference-2013-sessionsdownload-using-powershell/
    I hope you like the new version. 🙂
    /Peter

16. […] version 0.2 to the public. This is not by code but by idea a never “version” of my PowerShell script to download Microsoft Management Summit 2013 session videos. Hope it will work great for all of you. In one of the next updates I will also provide a player in […]

17. CN. says:

Dear Peter,

Thank you for the nice script!

Please note that I was able to download only 2 videos from the Lync Conference (APPS201 & APPS202) and all the others (sessions_notavailable.txt), why?
    Please help.