Configuration Manager 2007 is running out of support – life cycle to ConfigMgr 2012 R2 now
Still running System Center Configuration Manager 2007? It’s about time to migrate to ConfigMgr 2012 (R2) now.
As of writing this blog post it is less than a week left of the Mainstream support for ConfigMgr 2007. I’m quite sure you remember the pain to migrate from Windows XP in the last second so do yourself a favor and start the migration asap. There are a lot of good information out there on how to migrate but I’ve created a short (!) list of important things to know.
- You cannot upgrade, that means you must run it side-by-side for a while
- There are great migration tools included in ConfigMgr 2012 to migrate from 2007 – use it
- Don’t get too exited and start with all new features in ConfigMgr before you have migrated all clients. Move the core functionality first – then start with all new stuff
- Plan before you start, create a roadmap with milestones so that you know that you make progress in the correct order
- Install ConfigMgr 2012 in a VM
- Keep the SQL server together with the Primary Site Server
- Read the two above notes again and FOLLOW THEM. Yes you as well!
- Use the TechNet Forums if you need help